[ltp] Install problem with SuSE 8.2 on TP 240

Ted Wiseman linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 30 Sep 2003 02:17:24 -0700

I'm installing SuSE 8.2 to a new hard drive on my TP240, which of
course has no internal CDROM. I have a PCMCIA CDROM drive with which I
previously installed SuSE 7.2 on the same laptop's original hard
drive.=20

With version 7.2 I booted from the included floppy disk, and after
inserting one of the modules floppies the PCMCIA CDROM was recognized
and enabled, with which I continued the installation from the SuSE CD.

However, with SuSE 8.2 the same CDROM is not being enabled after
inserting the modules floppy. The PCMCIA socket is found and enabled,
and even the CDROM drive is identified in the boot dialog, but it is
not  activated.=20

SuSE says this issue is outside of their free installation support,
but they did  suggest that it is very likely a problem with ACPI, and
emailed me a support article containing several kernel parameters for
controlling the way ACPI is utilized during the boot. The parameters
include:
acpi=3Doff
acpi=3Doldboot
acpi=3Dforce
pci=3Dnoacpi
But the article does not mention how exactly to introduce these
parameters when booting. The initial SuSE boot install screen does
include an option for installing with ACPI disabled (presumably
equivalent to the parameter acpi=3Doff) which I tried, but the PCMCIA
CDROM still was not recognized.=20

Can anyone offer any suggestions for getting this CDROM drive
recognized in order to continue the install process from the
installation CD?  I'd appreciate any help.