[ltp] Hardware Question regarding salvaging HDD's

Jonathan Byrne linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 12 Apr 2004 23:10:54 -0700

--MW5yreqqjyrRcusr

I can't answer most of this except to say that if you're handy enough
with a soldering pencil and have a list of the pinouts, almost anything
is possible ;-)

You should be able to format the disk in pretty much any notebook
that it will physically fit, since Travelstars are not IBM-specific,
not are Thinkpads Travelstar-specific (unless IBM did something really
evil with the 770 models; I've had a 240 and currently have a pair
of 600Xs and they all use standard notebooks disks).  Some parts of
a notebook are pretty standardized: CPU, disk drive, memory, sometimes
other things.  Those three in particular are relatively standard b/c
none of them are made by the notebook vendors.

A couple other forums you might want to try in addition to this
one are the ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad newsgroup and the thinkpad@stderr.org
mailing list.

HTH,

Jonathan
--=20
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys ACC46EF9
Key fingerprint =3D E52E 8153 8F37 74AF C04D  0714 364F 540E ACC4 6EF9
"Talkin' 'bout my baby, she's some kind of wonderful"

--MW5yreqqjyrRcusr

--MW5yreqqjyrRcusr--