[ltp] acpi vs. apm on a X31

Dimitris Kogias linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 18 Apr 2004 11:14:21 -0700

Haven't yet seriously pursued ACPI, but I understand that with some work
- including patching the DSDT data in the kernel to override what it
reads from the BIOS - people have made it work on X31s.  Have you
searched the X31 list on theshire.org?

I'm using APM on my X31 and it has worked "out of the box" with 2.4.2x
and 2.6.x kernels, currently running 2.6.5-mc1.  Frequency scaling
(using powernowd) takes the processor down to 600MHz most of the time.
The only times I see the processor go full blast at 1.4GHz is for things
like kernel builds or other intensive tasks.

Suspend to RAM works flawlessly.  Some drivers [used to] need to be
unloaded on suspend and reloaded on resume, notably ehci, but as of
2.6.5 I think that it's only the radeon driver, if you're using DRI (I'm
not - yet), that needs this.

I can't comment about battery life as I don't use the machine much
without AC power.

D.