[ltp] r40 without built-in wireless

Pete Wright linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 20 Apr 2004 18:33:18 +0100

--=-OlZjP9UzbcXysJizAy4w

I can't speak about power usage of PCMCIA versus Mini-PCI, but I can say
that on this R40 running Debian Sarge, PCMCIA is well supported. As
another poster pointed out, you would do well to look at Prism based
cards - they all seem to work flawlessly.=20

Avoid 54G cards though - at the moment there is little to no support for
running a 54G PCMCIA card in Linux, even if you are using that card in
old 10Mbs 802.11 mode.=20

Hope that helps,=20

Pete

On Sun, 2004-04-18 at 02:38, Norbert Wojtowicz wrote:
> Hello,
>=20
> I am new to this list, and I can't seem to find a search of the list arch=
ives, so I hope I'm not being too redundant with an earlier thread.
>=20
> I am hoping to purchase a thinkpad r40, but the one I have found for a de=
cent price does not have built-in wireless. From what I've read, the newer =
thinkpads only boot with either an ibm or cisco mini pci card. Yet, it seem=
s the cisco mini pci card is not supported. Much of the literature seems ou=
tdated or contradictory. Can someone help me pick out a good linux-supporte=
d mini pci card for this laptop?
>=20
> I'd also like to know if there is good support for the  pcmcia on debian =
(which I plan on running). If so, maybe I would just get a wireless card fo=
r the pcmcia slot. Is there a big performance boost, power drain, etc. to t=
his approach?
>=20
> Thanks for any help.
> Norbert.