[ltp] Harddrive problems with T30...

Tue, 20 Apr 2004 22:35:50 +0300

--ZGiS0Q5IWpPtfppv

On Tue, Apr 20, 2004 at 06:08:03PM +0000, Chris wrote:
> i have a Thinkpad T30, and my harddrive just drives me
> insane. It keeps on making these strange sounds every 5-10
> seconds, and sounds really frightening. I dont like this.
>=20
> The model is Hitachi DK23DA-40F.

BTW have you seen the following page:
http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=3DMIGR-43355
?

I've heard strange hard disk sounds on my T23, but not this frequently.
(My hard drive died anyway -- it wouldn't boot, wasn't detected after
booting Knoppix off a CD.  The next day it started working again.  I
panicked and bought a different hard disk, moved everything over and ran
the disk self-tests with smartctl on the old "dead" disk.  No problems
were found.  Go figure.  And make backups often.)

Regarding the applicability of the R31 disk firmware -- I do not know.
I think the firmware on the disk does not care what Thinkpad the disk is
inserted into, but if that is true, then I do not understand why the
website specifically lists R31 as the only supported model.

Marius Gedminas
--=20
/* Halley */

	(Halley's comment.)