[ltp] T41p lcd ghost images

Jon linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 22 Apr 2004 09:35:30 +1000

> After another day I noticed that when I work in dim light, the top part
> of the screen retains any bright image's stamp for a couple of seconds
> in red color pixels (very small and very dim ) which are otherwise not
> visible in normal light conditions.

I had the exact same problem. It was only noticeable with a black
background. For example, if I dragged the My Computer icon (in Windows) up
to the top-right, then dragged it away after a few seconds, I could still
read the words 'My Computer' etched in stuck red pixels. After 10-15 seconds
the pixels would fade to black. Just like your mouse cursor.

> I called up IBM, they said this is not a normal behavior. They asked me
> to talk to the reseller (Euclid computers, OH) and ask them to replace
> the laptop.

IBM also told me that. I bought it from IBM so was able to send it back to
them. Unfortunately when they got it they apparently couldn't find the
problem I was talking about, despite me getting on the phone to them to
describe it, twice. In the end they offered to replace the LCD anyway. I
haven't had the problem since, but wasn't happy with the solution. I thought
it may be heat related (since I'd recently swapped my R50 fan for a quieter
T41p fan inside - thought I may have installed it wrong), but they ran it
for days continuously without seeing any stuck pixels or cooling problem. So
I'm not sure why it occured.

> My question is, is this LCD behavior normal or is this just a "slightly"
> faulty piece I got? Just need to confirm before I go through the risky
> exchange procedure.

It might be a bit risky, yeah. Check if it happens when you first turn it on
(cold). And out of interest, does it happen when you plug in a CRT monitor?
If it doesn't I guess you'd assume the LCD or connection to the LCD is the
problem.

Either way I'd get it replaced. Take some pictures, or demonstrate it at the
store you bought it from (if possible).

Jon.