[ltp] Radeon Mobility M7 + XF86 4.3.0 = dead slow?

Mika Fischer linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 22 Apr 2004 18:09:28 +0200

Hi!

I have an R40 2722-CDG with the Radeon Mobility 7500 (M7) in it and was
quite happy with it until I saw the laptop of a friend of mine.

His laptop has a Radeon Mobility 9600 and an Athlon Mobile CPU.

Now what I witnessed is that on his laptop the display is updated very fast,
while on mine it's really really slow.

For example if I resize konqueror I can actually see the widgets being
redrawn. Redraws occur only about 3 to 5 times per second.
Scroling is also not smooth but skippy. Basically everything that involves
redraws is too slow for my taste.

We both run Debian Sid and I used the same XF86 configuration. In fact it
doesn't even make much of a difference whether I run in 1024x768@16bpp or
1400x1050@24bpp...

Now I grant that his card is a little (or even a lot) faster than mine, but
I just can't believe that my card is really *that* slow.

Has anybody any idea what may be going on here or even has/had the same
problem? Any solutions/suggestions?

Is there a way to get more objective data on the graphic card's performance?

TIA,
 Mika