[ltp] T30:Projector resolution hassles

Carlo Hamalainen linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 26 Apr 2004 06:45:14 +0100

Atul Chitnis wrote:

>Hmmm, that wouldn't address my problem, which is basically that X is not
>detecting the external display correctly, and sets itself to 640x480 as a
>window into a virtual 1024x768 desktop on the external display.

I had a similar problem on my T40 with a projector (looked like an
800x600 window inside the projector's 1024x768 desktop), and found that
adding "extern_disp" and "intern_disp" lines to the Device section of my
XF86Config worked. Here's the section for my 16Mb Radeon card:

Section "Device"
    Identifier "Videocard0"
    Driver "radeon"
    VendorName "Videocard vendor"
    BoardName "ATI Radeon Mobility M6"
    VideoRam 16384
    Option "extern_disp"
    Option "intern_disp"
EndSection

You might need to tap Fn-F7 a few times to get it to cycle between no
external output, only external output, and both lcd and external.

Hope this helps,

-- Carlo