[ltp] Radeon Mobility M7 + XF86 4.3.0 = dead slow?

Tue, 27 Apr 2004 13:42:18 +0200

On Thu, Apr 22, 2004 at 13:00:07 -0400, Mark Carroll wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Apr 2004, Mika Fischer wrote:
>
> > I have an R40 2722-CDG with the Radeon Mobility 7500 (M7) in it and was
> > quite happy with it until I saw the laptop of a friend of mine.
>
> Mmm. I have the same card, with XFree 4.2.1 and the radeon driver.
> It's dreadfully slow. I keep meaning to see what XF86Config experts
> suggest for good acceleration.
>
> (snip)
> > Is there a way to get more objective data on the graphic card's
> > performance?
>
> glxgears is a popular test - it comes with xbase-clients in Debian.
> Exactly what it's testing isn't clear to me, given that it uses GLX.

It just draws some gears using OpenGL, which has nothing to do with
operations like moving windows or widget drawing.

Could it be that acceleration is disabled or the framebuffer driver
will be used instead of the radeon driver?

Regards,
Tino