[ltp] Re(2): Intro and questions

Daniel J. Stern linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 3 Aug 2004 20:38:31 -0400 (EDT)

Antiphon <antiphon99@yahoo.ca> writes:

>> 1) Can't get Linux to recognize the TrackPoint device at all, must use
>> an external mouse. If the external mouse (a PS/2 device) comes
>> unplugged during a session, plugging it back in doesn't restore
>> function; it is necessary to reboot to regain use of the mouse.

> There's no sense in trying to figure out hardware errors if you're a
> noob, just find a distro that works for you.

Thanks for your response, but I disagree. I am perfectly able to follow
directions and have been managing files and navigating in a Unix
environment for over 12 years -- I am a newbie only in that this is my
first installation and administration attempt. Trashing the whole
installation and starting from scratch with another distribution (with its
own incompatibilities and issues and problems) does not strike me as a
logical course of action.

So, back to my original questions: Anyone know how to get Mandrake to see
the Trackpoint and/or how to get my ThinkPad i1300 (1171-9MU) to boot with
the Mandrake 10 installation CD1?

Thanks DS