[ltp] 600E partitioning for DOS/Windows 2000/Linux triple-boot

Michelle Klein-Hass linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 10 Aug 2004 15:24:42 -0700

Hi guys...

I am going to get a 40GB hard drive in about a week. Currently my trusty
ThinkPad 600E has a 10GB IBM TravelStar drive in it. The new drive will be a
Toshiba MK4025GAS, 4200RPM, 8MB Cache.

There is currently a wonderful deal at NewEgg on this drive:
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=22-149-014&depa=0

Anyway, my friend Chad Page let me know that there is a "gotcha" about running
a drive that is >8GB: neither Linux nor Windows boot successfully from a boot
partition that is more than 8GB away from sector zero.

I need to come up with a partitioning strategy that can help me keep the two
main OSes, plus DOS for using PS2.EXE and maintaining a hibernation file,
happy.

Would Loadlin perhaps be a solution? Boot into DOS and kick into Linux via
LOADLIN.EXE? Or can a simpler solution be found that can allow LILO or GRUB
to manage the booting?

Also: the 10GB TravelStar is going into an UltraBay HD module. I was able to
find one on eBay for $20...those puppies are pretty rare now and I think I
scored big. Really ingenious design: you keep the drive in its sled and just
snap it into the HD module. This meant I had to buy another sled for the
soon-come drive, but eh, they're fairly cheap. I intend to reformat as FAT32
from 2K after all the info is pulled off of it.

Thing is: how do I get this drive to work under Linux too? Same question for a
Zip 100 UltraBay module.

Thanks for the help,
Michelle
--