[ltp] T40p, external monitor, DDC

Florian Weimer linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 12 Aug 2004 09:53:57 +0200

I've just discovered that XFree86 doesn't seem to honor manually
configured refresh rates *at* *all*.  If I use a cable that doesn't
allow for DDC to connect the monitor, the only available mode on the
external monitor is 640x480 at 60 Hz.  If DDC is available, a
reasonable mode is available (1024x768 at 75 Hz), but I'd really like
to override these settings (a higher refresh rate would be nice).
Furthermore, if I open the laptop lid and close it again (possibly
pressing Fn+F7 to bring the external monitor back), the refresh rate
falls back to 60 Hz (which is clearly insufficient if you use a white
background).

Any suggestions how I should fix this?  Do I have to add mode lines
manually?