[ltp] broken graphics hardware on ThinkPad A30

Mon, 16 Aug 2004 23:11:04 +0200

Hi folks,

some weeks ago I noticed blue graphics errors while movie playback on
my A30. I found out that it's not a software but a hardware failure.
Pressing on a certain place on the bottom of the case will chage the
look of the graphics error or sometimes make it go away.

Later I also noticed errors in firefox (misplaced rendering areas),
wmaker menus and the mouse pointer. The machine still runs absolutely
stable, only the graphics is trashed. Since sometimes the errors show
up in the BIOS, it is not a driver problem.

Has anyone else heard of such things? I think the only way to fix it is
to let the motherboard replaced, which will cost me ~780 EUR, but maybe
there is a more simple solution.

Regards,
Tino