[ltp] broken graphics hardware on ThinkPad A30

Job de Haas linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 16 Aug 2004 23:39:11 +0200

Hi,

> Later I also noticed errors in firefox (misplaced rendering areas),
> wmaker menus and the mouse pointer. The machine still runs absolutely
> stable, only the graphics is trashed. Since sometimes the errors show
> up in the BIOS, it is not a driver problem.

I have problems with graphics in the BIOS mode that I have not read
about anywhere. When I boot cold (no power adapter and not from RAM
suspend) I get a completely garbled screen. Still there are some
recognizable parts. For example the red lilo screen shows up in random
red blocks. But I also see binary counters in the screen (pixels
moving).

When I wait for about 5 minutes and then reboot, the screen is fine. My
reseller/dealer has no clue so I'm preparing to send it in.

If anyone has seen this before and knows if it is easy to fix I'd like
to know too.

Regards,

Job