[ltp] broken graphics hardware on ThinkPad A30

Martin Hermanowski linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 16 Aug 2004 23:49:17 +0200

--4Ckj6UjgE2iN1+kY

On Mon, Aug 16, 2004 at 11:11:04PM +0200, Tino Keitel wrote:
> Hi folks,
>=20
> some weeks ago I noticed blue graphics errors while movie playback on
> my A30. I found out that it's not a software but a hardware failure.
> Pressing on a certain place on the bottom of the case will chage the
> look of the graphics error or sometimes make it go away.
>=20
> Later I also noticed errors in firefox (misplaced rendering areas),
> wmaker menus and the mouse pointer. The machine still runs absolutely
> stable, only the graphics is trashed. Since sometimes the errors show
> up in the BIOS, it is not a driver problem.
>=20
> Has anyone else heard of such things? I think the only way to fix it is
> to let the motherboard replaced, which will cost me ~780 EUR, but maybe
> there is a more simple solution.

I had exactly the same error on an A30. Using the VESA-Driver makes the
system usable again, but since the problems increase by and by, I cannot
say how for how long.

LLAP, Martin

--4Ckj6UjgE2iN1+kY

--4Ckj6UjgE2iN1+kY--