[ltp] broken graphics hardware on ThinkPad A30

Carl-Fredrik Enell linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 17 Aug 2004 13:14:55 +0300

Hi,

I had a similar problem when I first got my T41p. There was blue
garble on the screen during my first X install and the same problem
later turned up also in Windo$. I ran the graphics memory test included in
the IBM boot screen, which told me that the graphics memory was broken.
I had to spend the three first weeks waiting for a motherboard
change. After that the machine has been running fine using the Xfree
ATI driver (I don't care that much about 3D graphics) and APM.

I have a feeling that the problem worsened when I tried the
ACPI suspend-to-swap function of the early 2.6 kernels, but cannot
tell exactly.

Regards
Carl-Fredrik

    Tino> Hi folks,
    Tino> some weeks ago I noticed blue graphics errors while movie playback on
    Tino> my A30. I found out that it's not a software but a hardware failure.
    Tino> Pressing on a certain place on the bottom of the case will chage the
    Tino> look of the graphics error or sometimes make it go away.

Carl-Fredrik Enell
Sodankylä Geophysical Observatory
Tähteläntie 62
FIN-99600 Sodankylä, Finland

http://www.sgo.fi/~fredrik
Telephone (work):	(+358) (0)16  619826
Mobile phone (private): (+358) (0)400 820037