[ltp] T40 and ALSA, but no multi channel mixing

Eben King linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 20 Aug 2004 14:36:18 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004, Roman Joost wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 20, 2004 at 09:22:52AM -0400, Alex Deucher wrote:
> >
> > I'm not really an expert when it comes to sound, but it's my
> > understanding that to mix multiple streams you either need a sound
> > daemon like esd or a sound chip that supports multiple streams in
> > hardware like the SB live! or audigy cards.
> Sure, but what the deamons already do, is ALSA also capable off. Thats
> why I want to use ALSA instead of the deamons.

The object is not merely in reducing the number of programs used, but in
reducing the time between sound-requested and sound-produced.  ALSA has
lower latency than any daemon because ALSA is kernel-space and the daemons
are user-space, yes?

   Your pretended fear lest error might step in is like the man who
   would keep all wine out of the country lest men should be drunk.
                                                 -- Oliver Cromwell