[ltp] /dev/thinkpad, KLaptop, and tpctl

John Locke linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 23 Aug 2004 10:29:39 -0700

Hello, everybody,

Just got a T41 last week, and what a great machine! Still having to
spend time in Windows to get my current projects done, but my Linux
configuration is coming along.

The current problem is, I can't use tpctl, ntpctl, or configure-thinkpad
because /dev/thinkpad is getting locked by KDE. Anybody run into this?

How I got here:

- Stock Mandrake 10.0 installation, with Mandrake tpctl and
configure-thinkpad packages
- Thinkpad kernel module compiled from source (it seems to be omitted
from the 2.6 Mandrake packages)
- ACPI modules loaded (ac, battery, thermal) (before I loaded these, the
KLaptop daemon didn't load, and I could use configure-thinkpad).

Any suggestions, or more info I should provide?

I'm coming along on the other hardware--have the Madwifi driver working
great, etc. But I'm also having trouble with suspend/resume now, because
for some reason rmmod usb-ehci hangs... I was able to suspend using
"echo "3" > /proc/acpi/sleep, but after doing so the Alsa modules don't
unload on shutdown, and USB is hosed... so I've had a bunch of unclean
shutdowns now!

Thanks for your help,
--
John Locke
"Open Source Solutions for Small Business Problems"