[ltp] Which wifi adapter for a wifi upgradable X31?

Dax Kelson linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 26 Aug 2004 11:45:47 -0600

On Thu, 2004-08-26 at 08:31, Sean O Sullivan wrote:
> > I am about to buy a Thinkpad X31. It is one of the wifi upgradable
> > models, so I have to specify a card, or buy one later. What is my best
> > bet?
> >

> Well, just from my own Experience, I bought the Intel 2200BG.
> Intel are doing drivers etc now via sourceforge ... sadly it doesn't seem
> to active.
> Haven't gotten round to getting it working via linux yet, drivers are iffy
> [my own experience]

I too have the Intel 2200BG. You you should check the project more
often, the drivers are now up to 0.4 and support WEP. I'm using it right
now to send this email.

Tomorrow version 0.5 should be released that fixes several important
bugs and allows association to APs that aren't broadcasting the ESSID.

May 04 2004  Project Opened!
May 28 2004  0.1 released
Jul 02 2004  0.2 released
Aug 12 2004  0.3 released (first usable driver)
Aug 16 2004  0.4 released (supports WEP)

There is a very active mailing list with multiple developers from Intel
posting on a daily basis as well as various non-Intel contributors
submitting patches.

Here is the mailing list archive:

http://news.gmane.org/gmane.linux.drivers.ipw2100.devel

(discussion for both the 2100 and 2200BG drivers are on the same list)

There is talk about submitting the drivers for inclusion in the official
kernel in the not to distant future.

You will never see that occur with the madwifi drivers that have a
kernel tainting binary blob at their core.