[ltp] Resume hangs on X30 with 2.6.9

Nathan Kurz linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 5 Dec 2004 03:24:36 -0700

Hello --

I have a Thinkpad X30 that I'm trying to get working with the 2.6.9
kernel and a Slackware 10 distribution.  Most things have been working
smoothly, but I'm having a lot of problems with hibernation and
suspend.  But should I even expect these two to work?  In the archives
and on the web I can find people who have these working fully with an
X30 and an older series kernel, or with this kernel and a more modern
machine, but I haven't found anyone claiming this exact setup works.

1) Is there anyone out there running the X30/2.6.9 setup with success?

I've tried both APM and ACPI, and have the same major problem with
both: suspend or hibernate appears to work, but the machine hangs when
I try to resume, requiring me to hold down the power button and force
a hard reboot.  I've seen many other people expressing this problem,
but haven't found any direct claims of fixing it.

2) Has anyone had hangs on resume and later found a solution to it?

I've had intermittent success with both APM and ACPI.  APM seems
closest to working, in that I if I set things up carefully I can often
get resumes from suspend to RAM and hibernate to work, but not
consistently.  But it seems like ACPI is getting the most development.

3) Are there other outside reasons to choose either APM or ACPI?

Thanks for any and all responses!  As it is, I'm doing an awful lot of
kernel recompiles and trying to pare down my boot environment until I
can find something (anything!) that works consistently, and then add
to that until I see breakage.  I think my next move will be to go back
to ACPI and see what acpi_sleep=S3_bios does.

Nathan Kurz
nate@verse.com