[ltp] Processor architecture change causes kernel panic

Niel Lambrechts linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 6 Dec 2004 00:20:14 +0200

> Did you do a 'make install', or otherwise move the new kernel
> into place? Could you accidentally be using the old kernel
> with the new modules?

No, I definitely moved the kernel and system.map to /boot manually... I
do it this way so make install does not mess up my lilo configuration.
And yes, I did run lilo, after the mkinitrd which recommends it in any
case.

I think one possible solution for me would be to compile reiserfs into
the kernel instead of as a module. Then after IPL, I could potentially
retry the initrd configuration. But it this the "linux recommended" way
when changing processor architecture?

But it does seem like an awful long workaround, given the long compile
time for SuSE kernels... :)

Niel