[ltp] IBM to sell its PC business

François Fleuret linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 06 Dec 2004 09:35:31 +0100

Hi,

<Dan Christopherson> wrote on 03 Dec 2004 20:30:26 MET:

> Most people just have different priorities than you. To you
> quality matters most, to many people, it's price.

I share this analysis. The quality is hard to describe in a spec sheet
while a price is easy to quantify. I guess we, TP owners, know that a
keyboard touch, case quality, screen quality, and small weight matter
more than having a 3.8Ghz CPU or a dvd burner or dolby surround sound
whatever.

The problem with laptop is the same as the problem with many other
products: you need a *quantitative* superiority. If something can not
be quantified, you are screwed.

> Frankly, I don't think IBM's PCs are any higher-quality than anyone
> elses at the same price point.

The question is: even at the same price, what are equivalent laptops
both from the hardware and service perspective ?

I would go for a mac with no remorse but

  1/ I will not have the guts to remove OSX and I would feel guilty
     not to use a GPL OS.

  2/ one button mousepad (!)

  3/ no delete key (!!!)

Cheers,

--
François Fleuret                              EPFL - CVLAB/LCN