[ltp] IBM to sell its PC business

James Knott linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 06 Dec 2004 09:02:52 -0500

James McKenzie wrote:
> James Knott wrote:
>
>> ash wrote:

>>>                             Mailer: Microsoft Outlook Express
>>> 5.50.4133.2400
>>>

>>> Not for linux, though...? ;)
>>>

>> A few years ago, I was running Linux on a similar model, the 760ED.
>> Worked OK, but I'd imagine it's not fast enough for current distros.
>>
> James and ash:
>
> I've run just about every M$ OS on a 760ED (I did not do the install of
> XP, but I do know that it 'ran'.)  I've also run OS/2 3.0 and 4.0 on it.
>  We also installed, in multi-boot, RH 7.3 and RH8 on it.  It was a tight
> fit, but it booted and ran RH better than M$ 2000.  Unfortunately, I
> don't know what happened to the 760ED as it went to a starving college
> student.
> I do have a 600E that I've run just about everything on, and that was
> the first system I ran RH on.  I since moved up and onto an A22p.  I've
> been looking at a new system, but this one works and will do for now.

At work at that time, my own computer was a 760E and the ED was a test
system.  They were extremely similar computer.  I ran OS/2 on my 760E,
but could easily replace the hard disk with one from the ED and it also
ran linux well.  Back in those days, I generally had about a dozen
various ThinkPad models at my desk, along with several swapable drives,
loaded with OS/2, Windows 95 & NT, along with the Linux one.  There were
many more computers (over 100), both ThinkPad and IBM desktop systems,
in our lab.