[ltp] Re: Copying Files

James Hawtin linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 6 Dec 2004 20:19:17 +0000

I simply ment my suggestions as alturnatives for the orginal poster wishing
to use dd to consider.

Can cp cope with sparse files these days? tar and cpio can.

While many filesystems can support large files, many tools still seems to
have problems from time to time, spliting is particularly useful if you want
to copy the files over a network to another machine, ftp can have
problems. Of course if there is a network problem part way though if you
haven't split it up you have to start again. As to why you might want to put
the data into temporary space first, you can copy the data onto another
drive using a boot disk, repartition the disk then move it back, as its
blocked up it also requires less temp disk space and you can use compression
too.

James.