[ltp] Valence Technology battery update: the replacement arrives, and runs.

Michelle Klein-Hass linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 7 Dec 2004 21:41:46 -0800

So far so good. No high-pitched whining, no Vegas light display, no cutting
out after 2 seconds runtime.

I will keep the list posted, because a viable, affordable battery pack
alternative would be a Very Good Thing (TM) for those keeping 600e ThinkPads
alive.

Oh yeah...as far as the Lenovo news goes...this is a sad day for the IBM
ThinkPad legacy. Even if I won the CA Lottery tomorrow, I wouldn't buy a new
ThinkPad.

Oh did I mention my new skunk-works project? My friend Chad Page gave me a
headless ThinkPad 570 as a Chanukah gift. The old 10GB drive that was in my
600e is now in the 570. It's going to be a server. Going to install Debian
Sarge (no Sid) on it, and run web, sftp and maybe some other stuff. Yes it
will be accessible, at least on Port 80.

I will be buying a twin to this to serve as a new firewall. I've got NICs on
order from eBay. My husband is going to build a rack for these two headless
machines (think something like where you put your washed dishes after you
wash them) out of wood so they can stand upright and have a very small
footprint, and use the AC Adapters as ballast to make sure the rack isn't
tippy.

So yeah, I now have two ThinkPads. And soon, I will have three. And they will
all get a lot of use. The ThinkPad might be dead, but ThinkPads live on,
dammit!

Courage,
Michelle
--