[ltp] IBM to sell its PC business

Joel Ebel linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 08 Dec 2004 09:55:41 -0500

I've got some more statistics for you.  I worked for a university
department that purchased about 25 Dell laptops.  Not one of them
escaped the need for repair.  They weren't all the same model or
purchased at the same time either.  Granted they weren't the best cared
for laptops, but they had things break that never should have been a
problem.  The most common was keys not working on the keyboard.  Other
problems included mouse buttons breaking (They have trackpoint like
pointing devices, but apparently the buttons under them weren't meant to
be actually used.  If you use them, they break.), screens going bad,
parts breaking off for no good reason, hard drives failing.  They were
just poorly designed.  The keyboard had been a problem for years and
Dell took forever to fix it.  The screens were made of more flimsy
material that allowed the screen to be pressed against the keys and
pointing stick leaving an imprint and usually several bad pixels.
Maintaining those computers was a pain, and when I left I got a thinkpad
T40.  I couldn't be happier.  Those were inspirons, and I I've heard
that the latitudes are built better, but after my experiences, I just
wasn't keen on Dell laptops anymore.  Now I don't know what I'll do when
I need a new laptop.  I guess I'll have to wait and see.  My T40 still
has plenty of life in it.

Joel