[ltp] trackpoint not working properly

Karl Klashinsky linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 09 Dec 2004 19:20:55 -0800

Been offline for a while, hopefully this isn't too late to be useful...

You got an answer for your trackpoint problem, now the other one:

> and this one for my USB mouse:
>
> Section "InputDevice"
> 	Identifier  "Mouse1"
> 	Driver      "mouse"
> 	Option	    "Protocol" "ImPS/2"
> 	Option	    "ZAxisMapping"  "4 5"
> 	Option	    "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
> EndSection
>
> The USB mouse works nicely, but when I plug it in after having started
> the X Server, I need to restart X, which is okay but a bit annoying.

I bet if you test this a bit further, you'll find out that as long as
you've connected the USB mouse since boot, it'll work fine when plugged
in.  The reason is that until you plug the mouse in for the first time,
the necessary USB modules aren't loaded (and, thus, /dev/input/mice
isn't being loaded).

The fix is simple... on Debian, add:

hid
mousedev

... to your "/etc/modules" file.

--
klash        |       |      Good judgment comes from experience, and
            .|.     .|.     a lot of that comes from bad judgment.