[ltp] Re: Confusion about Xorg drivers

Martin Gramatke linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 11 Dec 2004 12:04:45 +0100

Hi,

I propose to use there kernel 2.6 and xfree drivers.

Make sure you selected the correct AGPGART driver in your kernel config and
the ATI radeon DRI driver. The AGP driver should fit to your mainboard not
your graphics card, not ATI.

DRI is described here:
 http://dri.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/moin.cgi/Documentation
If these drivers support your models 3D acceleration, you will learn here
(they do):
 http://dri.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/moin.cgi/ATIRadeon

The Xfree/Xorg config options are described here:
http://www.xfree.org/current/radeon.4.html

Here is a snippet from my xorg.conf:
Section "Module"
    Load        "dbe"
    Load        "extmod"
    #SubSection  "extmod"
    #    Option  "omit xfree86-dga"
    #EndSubSection
    Load        "freetype"
    #Load        "speedo"
    Load        "glx"
    Load        "dri"
EndSection
Section "Device"
    Identifier  "Card1"
    Driver      "radeon"
    Option      "AGPMode"        "4"
    Option      "AGPFastWrite"   "on"
    Option      "DDCMode"        "on"
    Option      "MonitorLayout"  "LVDS,TMDS"
    Option      "CloneMode"      "1280x1024"
    #Option      "EnablePageFlip" "on"
EndSection

Check your xfree/xorg log files in /var/log to see if everything is well.
glxinfo gives you additional information: "direct rendering: Yes". glxgears
delivers some interesting benchmark numbers. I have a radeon 9250 here with
only 750fps. What do you get?

regards
Martin