[ltp] Confusion about Xorg drivers

John Locke linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 10 Dec 2004 17:53:29 -0800

Hello,

I have a T41, with a Radeon Mobility 9000 card. I'm running Mandrake
10.1 (actually still on the Community version). By running glxgears, I'm
getting 140 fps.

I've made tweaks in my XF86config file in the past, on my old Toshiba,
and managed to get XFree86 to work dual head, but I really get lost in
these configurations. At that time, I learned a bit about Nvidia
drivers, enough to get it going, but now with ATI I'm totally lost. I
don't care much about 3d performance or anything, but here's what I want
to be able to do:

* Run multimonitor, preferably being able to use xrandr and being able
to turn the external monitor on and off without restarting X. Right now,
my LCD is 1400x1050, but my external monitor is a 1024x768 flat panel.

* I would like to be able to stretch my desktop across to the other
screen, side by side, as well as hook up an external projector for
presentations.

* I would also like to be able to plug my TV into the S-Video port and
output media to my TV.

* Finally, I'd like to enable the DRI extension so that I can get
full-screen out of VMWare.

I've seen lots of pages with different How-tos to do much of this, but
I'm stuck with choosing a driver and getting the proper modelines--there
appear to be at least 3 different drivers for this card available in my
distribution, and I really haven't had time to dig through all these issues.

Is there any quick summary of the available drivers for this card
somewhere that can get me going? Anybody happen to have an xorg.conf
file that matches my needs?

Thanks for your help!

Cheers,

--
John Locke
"Open Source Solutions for Small Business Problems"