[ltp] programs take much too long to start

Chris Meidinger linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 14 Dec 2004 16:02:30 +0100

>Hi all,
>
>maybe you got an idea:

maybe

>Sometimes almost all programs on my Thinkpad R51 take much too long to start.
>That is for instance about 20s for starting vi. After this long time the
>programs operate just as normal.

How do you mean start? What is the hard drive doing in this time? Is it
reading like crazy, or just short regular bursts?

>This happens both for root and my user. Normally the problem is gone, if I
>just do a reboot. Strace doesn't tell something useful to me. If I start vi
>on the "real" console (ctrl+alt+f1), it works normally.

The best i can suggest is to check the wait time in top. Wait time is
programs that are waiting for disk access.
If wait time is high, that's your bottleneck.

Anyway, disk I/O is the first thing that comes to mind. How bad is the
disk usage when this happens?

Cheers,

Chris