[ltp] Disabling the wireless

Tim Prince linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 15 Dec 2004 03:45:09 -0800

At 03:27 AM 12/15/2004, Alejandro Sobrino Beltr=E1n wrote:

>On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 12:11:56 +0100, Frank Schaeckermann > But that is
>exactly what you accomplish by stopping the WLAN modules!
> > You won't need the modules anyway if you have your hardware switched
> > off. So what is your problem with stopping them?
>
>I already know that if the hardware is turned off you don't need the
>modules... But that is what I don't know how to do: stop the hardware.
>I don't care about the modules, if they are loaded (or not).

When I last attempted to shut it down by the iwconfig txpower option, it=20
had no effect.  But, since, I found that I had both the ipw2100 and the (no=
=20
longer license enabled) linuxant, so maybe that was forcing the radio=20
on.  It's a bummer, having a non-working ipw2100 but running the battery=
 down.

Slightly off topic, on my last plane trip, I noticed other passengers with=
=20
their radio lights lit.  Not much general awareness about laptop wireless=20
radios and their battery draw or legality on airline flights.

Tim Prince=20