[ltp] Disabling the wireless

morpheus linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 15 Dec 2004 10:17:37 -0500

> > You won't need the modules anyway if you have your hardware switched
> > off. So what is your problem with stopping them?
>
> I already know that if the hardware is turned off you don't need the
> modules... But that is what I don't know how to do: stop the hardware.
> I don't care about the modules, if they are loaded (or not).

Unloading the modules causes the hardware to turn off.  It's like saying
"I don't care about the switch, I just want the light to go off."  You
flip the switch, then the light goes off.
I experimented with iwconfig txpower off, but that clearly did not turn
off the radio. This may be a madwifi issue. As others have posted, when
you remove the modules, you get an extra hour of battery life, so that's
pretty conclusive (albeit indirect) evidence that the hardware is
disabled.  Also, in my case, the WLAN LED goes on and off when I toggle
this.  If someone has an RF detector and they want to provide conclusive
evidence that would be nice :-)

-m