[ltp] Disabling the wireless

Dax Kelson linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 16 Dec 2004 19:28:44 -0700

On Wed, 2004-12-15 at 10:17 -0500, morpheus wrote:
> > > You won't need the modules anyway if you have your hardware switched
> > > off. So what is your problem with stopping them?
> >
> > I already know that if the hardware is turned off you don't need the
> > modules... But that is what I don't know how to do: stop the hardware.
> > I don't care about the modules, if they are loaded (or not).
> >

> Unloading the modules causes the hardware to turn off.  It's like saying
> "I don't care about the switch, I just want the light to go off."  You
> flip the switch, then the light goes off.

His question was legit and shows his experience with Linux, hardware and
the kernel.

Though not intuitive, it is not the common case to have the hardware
power itself off when the driver is unloaded. Historically and
traditionally once a driver is loaded and the hardware initialized, the
hardware won't power off by simply unloading the driver.

I'm glad that experiments have show this not to be case with the atheros
wireless chipset. I wonder if the Intel IPW2200 behaves the same.

Dax