[ltp] ibm_acpi causes system freeze on startup on T42p

morpheus linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 16 Dec 2004 23:22:16 -0500

I cannot boot my system into runlevel 5 and I think ibm_acpi may be the
problem.  Everything runs fine and modules/services start loading...then
I get near the end of my services (cups-config-daemon) and the computer
freezes.
Well, at least it seems to.  The screen freezes.  The mouse freezes.
When I press CTRL-ALT-F1 for a console, nothing happens.
However, my ibm_acpi events are working...FnF7 turns off the WLAN, Fn-F5
puts into sleep mode, etc.  Also, CTRL-ALT-DEL does a graceful restart.
If I restart into single user mode and look at /var/log/messages, I see:

Dec 16 22:52:29 enormousroom kernel: ibm_acpi: IBM ThinkPad ACPI Extras
v0.8
Dec 16 22:52:29 enormousroom kernel: ibm_acpi: http://ibm-acpi.sf.net/
Dec 16 22:52:29 enormousroom kernel: ibm_acpi: dock device not present
Dec 16 22:52:29 enormousroom kernel: Non-volatile memory driver v1.2

These are the last messages before I press CTRL-ALT-DEL to reboot.  The
funny thing is it says "dock device not present" but my machine is
installed in a dock.

Of course, that Non-volatile memory driver could be the problem, I think
it's used by the ThinkPadButtons (tpb) utility.  But I suspect ibm_acpi
because it's the most recent thing I added to the system and all was
working fine before then.  Also, this "dock device not present" is
troubling.  /var/log/acpid shows no errors.

BTW, I'm on Fedora Core 3, Kernel 2.6.9-1.667

Any ideas?

-m