[ltp] Re: suspend-to-disk (ACPI S3?)

Eben King linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 25 Dec 2004 10:32:52 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004, Andri Wyrwa wrote:

> > > What framebuffer driver are you using? Did you try plain VESA?
> >
> > Framebuffer?  for text?
>
> Yepp, makes the console all shiny and beautiful. If you have the little
> penguin in the top left corner on bootup or you have some
> background/statusbar/graphical frame around the boot output, you have a
> framebuffer console driver enabled.

Don't see those, but

> > Graphics support  --->
> >
> > [*] Support for frame buffer devices

the kernel has support it has support.  Is there maybe something I have to
do to enable it, or is it possible that this:

Logo configuration  --->
[ ] Bootup logo

means I don't see the penguin, and the font (or resolution or something)
means I see no border?

> > <M>   ATI Radeon display support
> > [*]     DDC/I2C for ATI Radeon support
>
> You could try enabling VESA VGA and disabling ATI Radeon.

But isn't VESA much slower (unaccelerated)?  Also, wouldn't I need to change
the X video driver?

> Even though you found the homepage of it already...since you seem to be
> on SuSE, you should maybe get SuSE RPMs of it? They'll be preconfed and
> integrate with YAST i guess.

Noted.

> Also, you might want to read this page - even though it's not really
> comprehensive yet: http://www.thinkwiki.org/How_to_make_ACPI_work

Bookmarked, thanks.

> BTW: I guess that Sleep States support is of in your kernel config under
> Power Management options/ACPI. This might be the reason you don't
> find /proc/acpi/sleep on your system.

Enabled.  Just fixed my sound by removing the snd-* modules.  I don't know
why they're loaded manually at all, except for the 5ms delay in initial
sound production while the modules are loaded.

> André.
      ^

Is konsole messed up, or my chosen encoding, or X fonts, or what?  It looks
OK in XP(laptop).PuTTY and in Linux(desktop).XFree86.XTerm but appears as a
box in Linux(laptop).XFree86.KDE.konsole.