[ltp] Dual monitor setup: T40p+XFree-4.3.0

ben linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 27 Dec 2004 11:18:58 -0700

Not bad!  I'll have to play with that...  although I'm becoming
awfully fond of being able to split Matlab's windows over 2 desktops.

Do y'all know whether there's work on getting X to be able to resise
the desktop dynamically?  Apple has done an awfully nice job: you plug
in an external (DVI!) monitor, and it calmly adds a bunch of space to
your desktop---not to mention that your desktop probably ceases to
even be rectangular, since it's composed of 2 differently-sized pieces
(like Xinerama, but no need to restart everything and of course you
designate one of the 2 displays to be your primary desktop for icons
and menus etc).  Is this already possible using some esoteric feature
of a rare version of X?

I guess it would take a pretty large rewrite of X to make this work,
and that'll only happen if someone donates 5 different-sized digital
monitors to the X developers and insists that they trade every hour :)

By the way, does _any_ Thinkpad have a DVI-out in back?  Or do you
have to buy the docking station?

--
Ben Pearre          http://hebb.mit.edu/~ben       PGP: CFDA6CDA
          Free Music at http://hebb.mit.edu/FreeMusic