[SOLVED but with a great loss] Re: [ltp] Partition table seems corrupted

jcms linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 27 Dec 2004 12:03:39 -0500 (EST)

  Thanks for the suggestion.

  I've done that. I got a list of files and I'm going through them. It seems that a lot of them are broken, i.e, they are not complete. I found some aux files from LaTeX and but none of the entire chapters, one per file. I am going to continue to search for them little by little.

   I also had the directory containing the thesis as compressed tar balls. I used 'file' to go through [all] the files and filtered its output based on the type of the file as indicated by 'file'. So far they all ones that are indicated as gzip files seem incomplete. Very strange.

  J.C.

-----Original Message-----
From: Matthias Posseldt <matthi@gmx.li>
Sent: Dec 27, 2004 10:02 AM
To: linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Subject: Re: [SOLVED but with a great loss] Re: [ltp] Partition table seems corrupted

On Monday 27 December 2004 13:27, jcms wrote:
> I am interested in recovering my wife's Doctorate thesis (about 10
> files) from a few hundred thousand files with only numbers on their
> names.

You can try to use "grep" on all files:

grep -H -i "word-in-thesis" *

where -H prints the matching filename and -i searches case-insensitive.
That will work if your wife wrote the thesis in a format that is
human-readable (LaTeX, unpacked XML).

Regards,
Matthias

--
There is still the danger of EU software patents!

http://swpat.ffii.org/