[ltp] Slackware on T42?

Josh Battles linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 28 Dec 2004 13:00:03 -0600 (CST)

Bob Alexander said:

> NEGATIVE ! I am using PM 8 or 8.1, however the very latest. Does happen
> only once in a while but I can guarantee that it happens aven after you
> tell PM to check the partition for errors and it tells you everything is
> AOK.
>
> Watch out.

Will do.  I'll be extra careful, thanks for the tips.

> FWIW from last accident I decided to use LVM for all of my non root
> partition so that enlarging and shrinking them end even adding more
> space on new disks will be performed in a serious way.

What is LVM?

> PS Why don't you try Debian sarge instead of Slackware ? If you have a
> good internet connection use the sarge netinst iso image (around 120MB)
> and then abandon yourself to the luscious world of dpkg/apt-get/synaptic :)

I was actually looking into that as well as gentoo and haven't decided which
way to go as yet.  The reason I thought to to Slackware is because I run that
on my other 2 computers at home and it's been nothing short of excellent,
very stable and reliable.  Can the list offer up suggestions between debian
and/or gentoo?  I've got a 4mb line to my house so bandwidth isn't really an
issue.

- Josh