[ltp] Sound on 600e with Debian Sarge distro

Nigel Wilkinson linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 28 Dec 2004 20:37:01 +0000

--==========74BA52A9E1DE1AD99BCC==========

--On Tuesday, December 28, 2004 09:31:25 -0500 Stan Weddington=20
<stan@nleelaw.com> wrote:

> I have been using Debian Woody on  a Thinkpad 600e for nearly a year now,
> and finally got some time to re-install Sarge in it.  I originally fussed
> around with the sound, then left it as un-needed, so never got it working
> in Woody.  With Sarge, the sound was broken out of the box, but worked
> -sorta- after installing alsa-base and running alsaconf... for the first
> time, sound was actually heard from the 600e while booted into linux (it
> dual-boot into Windoze too), BUT it only played the 1st second or so of
> sound, then got stuck in a loop like a skipping record.
>
> Upon Sarge install the sound system was trying to use the cs46xx driver.
> Alsa installed the cs4236 driver and I got some sound.  After re-booting,
> the cs4236 was gone, and the cs46xx driver was back... and sound was all
> the way broke again.

Hi, I use Mandrake but had similar problems. You must use the CS4236 driver =

from alsa (or so I found). This driver MUST be passed options so in=20
/etc/modules.conf you must have

alias snd-card-0         snd-card-cs4236
alias sound-slot-0       snd-card-0
options snd-cs4236 port=3D0x530 cport=3D0x538 irq=3D5 dma1=3D1 dma2=3D0 =
isapnp=3D0

The reason for useing a different driver is that the CS4610 has an=20
emulation of the CS4231/2 and CS4239 cards and the alsa CS4236 driver=20
supports the CS4239 emulation of the CS4610 that is in the TP600E (or in=20
mine anyway).

As for the reversion to the CS4610 when you reboot, have you got a deamon=20
running that looks for new hardware. In Mandrake 9.2 I had to switch off=20
the hotplug deamon or it always found the CS4610 card and changed the=20
settings.

So in summary
switch off hotplug and ensure the alsa driver is passed the correct options

Cheers
Nigel

--==========74BA52A9E1DE1AD99BCC==========

--==========74BA52A9E1DE1AD99BCC==========--