[ltp] Hi to all & IBM R50

joshua timberman linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 28 Dec 2004 18:07:54 -0700

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 17:36:38 -0600, Josh Battles
<josh.lists@omg-stfu.com> wrote:
> Why did RH/Fedora decide to stop supporting mp3?

Red Hat stopped supplying mp3 format back in version 8.0 as I recall.
The reason is simple - licensing costs.  The mp3 format is patented
and requires royalty fees or some such.  There was a HUGE stink about
this when Red Hat removed the mp3 support library from their
distribution originally.

I have Fedora Core 3 on my Thinkpad and I think the mp3 support for
xmms came from some yum install or upgrade thing I did when I set up
the system originally.  That was more than two weeks ago so the
details are fuzzy :). I'm sure simple google searches would yield
plenty of solutions if this is an issue for you.

--
prepare for down count.. 5.. 4.. 3.. 1.. off blast!