[ltp] madwifi on Debian sarge with kernel 2.6.8

morpheus linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 29 Dec 2004 11:50:21 -0500

On Wed, 2004-12-29 at 06:18 -0600, wes schreiner wrote:
> >Have you tried downloading the raw source (not packaged) and just
> >compiling it with make?
> >This is what I did and it worked immediately.

> But that's not the Debian way.  apt-get build-dep <source-pkg> will
> fetch everything you need to build <source-pkg>.  The advantage is that
> you end up with a .deb package that you can install anywhere that you
> also install the corresponding kernel package.  I can build kernels and
> kernel module packages on a fast box and then go install the resulting
> packages on a slow box.  With "make; make install" on the original
> source I have to do everything on the target machine.  It takes a long
> time to build a 2.6.x kernel and modules on a Pentium 120, believe me.

Sure, I understand all that, but as a troubleshooting step it may help
to see if you can compile it and get it to work, then you'll know if the
problem is with the madwifi source or with the package build process.
It's a very small module and compiles very quickly, no need to recompile
the kernel.

Also, you might try getting the latest madwifi source from CVS, login
instructions are on the madwifi project homepage.  I know there were
some versions a few months ago that didn't compile well with 2.6
kernels, so you may have an older one.

-m