[ltp] Slackware on T42?

joshua timberman linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 29 Dec 2004 11:58:45 -0700

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 08:55:26 -0800, Michelle Klein-Hass
<bosslady@msgeek.com> wrote:
> Take a look at the Debian Sarge installer. It's still text-based/ncurses
> interface, but it's made a lot easier than it used to be. Debian has to work
> on several different and disparate architectures so trying to do a spiffy gui
> installer is not feasible. It's still somewhat fiddly, but definitely tons
> less fiddly than the Debian Woody installer was, and Debian installers of the
> past.

The Woody and Potato installers were horrid.  dselect is still horrid.
 apt is fine and dandy if you know what package names you're looking
for, but with as many packages as Debian has available, once again, I
don't have time to sift through looking for stuff just to "make" it
work.

> Of course, the Ubuntu installer is a point-and-drool affair, but you really
> have to like Gnome to go that route. There is a KDE-based Ubuntu fork in the

I don't like GNOME or KDE for window management, or the general
desktop usage.  I've used Window Maker for almost 8 years now, and I
just can't be productive in anything else.

I have heard more about Ubuntu lately, but I don't know that it is
well supported by our internal Linux application development.  We have
a variety of end-user client apps that have their own RPMs but I
haven't heard if they're doing any DEBs.

> I like Debian. I like being able to issue two commands and have an up-to-date
> system. Really, considering how bad RPM Hell has gotten, I don't know why
> anyone would go with anything other than a Debian-based system. It rocks.

The only RPM hell I have experienced is the stupid dependencies
related to Red Hat's retarded GUI administration tools, which have
sound events so they require GNOME sound, and GNOME and libogg, etc.
On servers.  Oi.  I'm hating Red Hat more and more with each release
and wish we could have more systems with SuSE. Debian is out of the
question because most of the systems don't have direct internet
access.

--
prepare for down count.. 5.. 4.. 3.. 1.. off blast!