[ltp] Slackware on T42?

joshua timberman linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 29 Dec 2004 12:22:10 -0700

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 11:58:45 -0700, joshua timberman
<grumpysmurf@gmail.com> wrote:
> The only RPM hell I have experienced is the stupid dependencies
> related to Red Hat's retarded GUI administration tools, which have
> sound events so they require GNOME sound, and GNOME and libogg, etc.
> On servers.  Oi.  I'm hating Red Hat more and more with each release
> and wish we could have more systems with SuSE. Debian is out of the
> question because most of the systems don't have direct internet
> access.

I forgot to add - I think it is important to keep the distribution's
design goals and focus in consideration when installing software.

For example, I don't try out every new whizbang program or
application.  The few that I do, I look for either "official" packages
from the vendor, or from so called "sanctioned" sites (such as Dag
Wieers repository) that have been designed with the aforementioned
distro design goals in mind.

A lot of free software out there uses several different libraries.
That's all well and good, until you find that library A wasn't
originally planned to be installed on any distribution other than
distro B.  So you try and compile it and install on your distro B
system.  Then you find you need library B which wasn't planned for
distro B either.  Ad nauseum.  I like the open source movement, and I
appreciate the efforts that developers are putting forth around the
world.  But seriously.  There's just too much out there.

How many text editors do we need? MP3 players? Speaking of sound, how
many "sound system" standards do we need?  Why are they always brand
new seperate development efforts, rather than extending existing
applications?  Isn't part of the reason to have open source so one can
take an existing program and expound upon it?

I digress.  This is far off topic at this point.  One of these days
I'll just write a book.

--
prepare for down count.. 5.. 4.. 3.. 1.. off blast!