[ltp] Sound on 600e with Debian Sarge distro

Bert Haskins linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 29 Dec 2004 15:49:06 -0500

Michelle Klein-Hass wrote:

>What you are going to have to do is manually modprobe the driver after
>everything else is up and running. It's a nasty kludge but it works. My
>friend Chad wrote it up as a very small shell script, with only this line:
>
>/sbin/modprobe snd-cs4236 index=0 port=0x530 cport=0x538 irq=5 dma1=1 dma2=0
>isapnp=0

I have never been able to get sound on either my 770x or 770z under Alsa
and or any 2.6 kernel.
Alsaconf  finds the sound chip says to use a CS4236 but thinks that it
is a legacy ISA and fails with the
message "No legacy sound cards found".
The  fc2 sound card detection tool says no soundcards were detected.
/proc/ ioports... interrupts don't show anything for sound.
Now this is really strange:
lspci  does show "Multimedia audio controller: Cirus logic CS 4610/11
[Crystal clear SoundFusion Accelerator] (rev 01)"
So which is right, is this sound chip ISA or PCI?

Further info: ps2 AU is setup right, sound worked under OSS and 2.4,
sound works fine in dos games and Billy and Steves
bad dream ,you know, the BS OS
Does anyone have any ideas?
Thanks,
   Bert