[ltp] Slackware on T42?

/dev/rob0 linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 29 Dec 2004 15:14:04 -0600

On Wednesday 29 December 2004 10:55, Michelle Klein-Hass wrote:
> I like Debian. I like being able to issue two commands and have

I don't doubt it suits you and many others quite well. But I'm glad
there are other choices available to us.

> an up-to-date system. Really, considering how bad RPM Hell has
> gotten, I don't know why anyone would go with anything other
> than a Debian-based system. It rocks.

I've been spared that agony as well, and I've never ventured outside
Slackware. :) It's the old "different strokes for different folks"
syndrome, and the "more than one way to skin a cat" factor (although
it's hard to imagine such a trade in feline pelts as to spark the need
for such experimentation.)

"Distro wars" (and BTW I don't think of this discussion in those terms)
are generally not useful, but I do want to give the OP some positive
encouragement if he decides to stay Slack. It's a different approach,
and a quite valid one. Simple is good. And I think it's true that
Slackers tend to develop more in-depth understanding of how everything
fits together in GNU/Linux.

Of course as Joshua points out there's definitely something to be said
for things Just Working without having to work at it. Funny thing is,
I've often had that very experience with Slackware!
    or "not-spam" is in Subject: header