[ltp] crashing, screen shrinking

Seth Kulick linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 6 Feb 2004 14:49:50 -0500

Hi,

I've been using my Thinkpad T30 for almost two years now with no problems.
It's set up as a dual boot, with XP and RH8.0.  Twice over the last few days,
however, while running linux, it died after I had left it sitting for about
an hour, and had to do a reboot.  This second time it just happened, a
disturbing thing appeared when I rebooted.  The boot-up sequence
(the Windows boot manager giving me the choice of XP or Linux), the Linux
boot (listing all the various parts coming up), and Windows as a whole
all now only use part of the full display.  It's running okay - it just
doesn't use the whole screen.  Strangely, after linux finishes booting it
does use the full screen.

So, any thoughts on (1) why linux has started crashing if left alone, and
(2) what has caused this strange display shrinkage?  After it crashed last
time I started hitting some function keys, etc. trying get it back, so
I'm wondering if I hit anything that might have caused this.  The Fn-Space
bar seems to reduce the screen and make it bigger again, but now even the
bigger size is still smaller than the entire display.

Any help greatly appreciated!

thanks,

Seth