[ltp] Thinkpad T41P having trouble waking up in the morning -- needs more caffeine?

William R Sowerbutts linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 7 Feb 2004 13:15:39 +0000

Hi again,

Thought I'd report on the progress with my T41P, in case anyone else is
interested.

As I was advised, I installed the XFree86 server from dri.sf.net. I'm running
Debian, so I chose to use their .deb snapshot from December. I've stopped
using the fglrx kernel module and binary-only XFree86 driver. The dri driver
doesn't support 3D acceleration yet, but that doesn't really concern me -- I
only want the system for 2D graphics. The driver seems to drive the built-in
Radeon 9600 very nicely.

Installing the dri driver messed up rendering my TrueType fonts for some
reason; the fix was simply to rename the font rendering libraries in
/usr/X11R6/lib/modules-dri-trunk/fonts/ and symlink in the versions from my
previous Debian XFree86 server (4.3.0-pre1v5). This works perfectly, the
graphics look lovely.

The system now happily goes to sleep and wakes up when I write a 3 to
/proc/acpi/sleep. The graphics come back to life too, which is excellent! The
wireless ethernet seems to survive the sleep/wake transition without any
problems. The USB host driver seemed to get upset, so I've simply rebuilt that
as a module and left it unloaded. I also get some odd messages about an MCE
(Machine Check Exception):

 (write a 3 to /proc/acpi/sleep here)
PM: Preparing system for suspend
Stopping tasks: ===========================================|
hdc: start_power_step(step: 0)
hdc: completing PM request, suspend
hda: start_power_step(step: 0)
hda: start_power_step(step: 1)
hda: complete_power_step(step: 1, stat: 50, err: 0)
hda: completing PM request, suspend
PM: Entering state.
 hwsleep-0265 [3197] acpi_enter_sleep_state: Entering sleep state [S3]

(Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.... Brrrrrrrrrring! Time to wake up!!)

Back to C!
zapping low mappings.
PM: Finishing up.
PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:00:1f.5 to 64
hda: Wakeup request inited, waiting for !BSY...
hda: start_power_step(step: 1000)
blk: queue dfd05800, I/O limit 4095Mb (mask 0xffffffff)
hda: completing PM request, resume
hdc: Wakeup request inited, waiting for !BSY...
hdc: start_power_step(step: 1000)
hdc: completing PM request, resume
Restarting tasks... done
request_module: failed /sbin/modprobe -- char-major-10-134. error = 256
MCE: The hardware reports a non fatal, correctable incident occurred on CPU 0.
Bank 1: f2000000000000a5

At this point the machine is back running normally, but that MCE message gets
sent to all logged in users via wall(1). Hrmmm.

Another strange thing I've noticed is that the ACPI daemon can detect events
like lid open/close, pressing the sleep/power buttons, etc -- but after a
sleep/wake cycle this stops working. The battery information still seems to
work, though. Odd. Restarting the daemon doesn't help.

Anyway, this machine is almost in a usable state now -- thanks for your help,
everyone!

Will

William R Sowerbutts                                  will@sowerbutts.com
Coder / Guru / Nrrrd                                http://sowerbutts.com
         main(){char*s=">#=0> ^#X@#@^7=",c=0,m;for(;c<15;c++)for
         (m=-1;m<7;putchar(m++/6&c%3/2?10:s[c]-31&1<<m?42:32));}