[ltp] "Light" applications for a laptop

Charles E Taylor IV linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 11 Feb 2004 17:46:09 -0500

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 11:44:06 -0600
Luis Lebron <lr.lebron@comcast.net> wrote:

> I am currently running RedHat 9 on a 770  thinkpad (233Mhz, 96Mb ram).
> Eventhough it works certain applications  are  extremely  slow.  For
> example, it  takes  a very long time to start  OpenOffice,  Jedit, or
> Quanta.

Also, if you're dead set against spending a few bucks upgrading the RAM,
you might make use of suspend/hibernate.  On my old 233 MHz/96M (max,
unfortunately) 380XD, Open Office is quite usable once you get it
loaded in the first place.  It just takes forever to start.  I used
to just leave Open Office started in the background and would hibernate
the laptop instead of merely turning it off.  That way, the next time I
used the laptop I didn't have to wait for OO and my other apps to load
again.

If OO is sluggish, turn off the fancier things like "preview in fonts
list" and possibly antialiasing.

Oh yeah, Sylpheed is a nice good/fast e-mail client that's quite usable
on a 233 MHz / 96M machine.

*  Charles Taylor <tomalek@mindspring.com>
*  Chemistry teacher, Linux enthusiast!
*  Web: http://home.mindspring.com/~charletiv/