[ltp] "Light" applications for a laptop

Wed, 11 Feb 2004 23:44:02 +0000

Charles E Taylor IV wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 11:44:06 -0600
> Luis Lebron <lr.lebron@comcast.net> wrote:
>

>>I am currently running RedHat 9 on a 770  thinkpad (233Mhz, 96Mb ram).
>>Eventhough it works certain applications  are  extremely  slow.  For
>>example, it  takes  a very long time to start  OpenOffice,  Jedit, or
>>Quanta.

You could try installing Mozilla-firefox, which is significantly faster
than the mozilla suite.

Also, try icewm - nearly as fast as fvwm, but it does have a taskbar and
"start" button which is the thing I'd miss most about losing KDE.

Lastly, use the most recent versions of things. I think you're OK with
RH9, but the gcc3.2 compiler creates executables which are significantly
quicker than those from gcc 2.9x
Also, KDE 3.2 is apparently much faster than KDE 3.1x

HTH

Richard

p.S. there's life in the command line apps yet. Eg links for web
browsing, and ogg123/mpg123 for ogg playback. links also has a graphical
mode (links -g) which is very quick indeed.