[ltp] Thinkpad 770 will not boot

Harry Mangalam linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 15 Feb 2004 18:21:49 -0800

Hi All,

My tp 770x was working fine a few days ago when I installed Mandrake 9.2 on it,
however, just after I gave it to my son for a homework machine, we started
having problems.  It's plugged in (and 16VDC is on the power tip & the battery
has a charge (AFAIK).

Just the other day, I turned it on and got .. nothing.  There are 2 scenarios:

After flicking the power switch, I can hear a faint noise (internal fan?) but
the keyboard LCD panel remains blank & the disk doesn't spin up, the THINKPAD
splash screen doesn't come on and obviously Grub is nowhere to be seen.

Every once in a while, there will be a click from the speakers and the speaker
icon on the keyboard LCD will flash, but nothing else will happen.

In both cases, holding the power switch on for 3 sec will turn it off. Removing
the battery after removing the power cable and then replacing the battery
changes nothing.

Anyone else seen this effect and especially, has anyone fixed it?

--
Cheers, Harry
Harry J Mangalam - 949 856 2847 (v&f) - hjm@tacgi.com